- Moderator & Panelist, "Risky Business: Travel-Adventure Writing for the Intrepid Freelancer," University of Massachusetts/Amherst, MA, 2003.
- Moderator, "Exotic Stories, Exotic Lands: Going Into the Field to Get the Story,"
American Society of Journalists and Authors Annual Conference, NY, 2003.
- Bread Loaf Writers Conference, Middlebury, VT 2001.
- Guest lecturer; Australian Federal government's Department of Industry, Science and Tourism, 1998.
- Visiting Fellow at the Centre for the Public Awareness of Science at the Australian
National University in Canberra, Australia 1996-1998.
- Senior Resident, Fenner Hall, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 1997.
(Subsequently selected for four-day, Outward Bound/Australia Trek, 1997.)
- J. William Fulbright Postgraduate Foreign Scholarship Award to Australia, July 1995-1996.
- Cutting Edge Science Workshop for Journalists, Cornell University, NY 1994.
- New York University Graduate School Fellowship, 1993 and 1994.
- Council for the Advancement of Science Writing/Nate Haseltine Scholarship 1993.
- Scripps-Howard Foundation Scholarship, 1993.
- Merck Science Journalism Award, NJ, 1993.
- Ernst Haas Scholarship, 1992.
- National Geographic /W.E. Garrett Scholarship 1985.
- Black Star/Kosti Ruohomaa Scholarship 1984.
For information about photography honors and awards, see the "Photography" section of this website.
Λ back to top